Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Poop Talk: Why I started the Potty Diaries

Let's face it, once you have kids, poop is almost a part of every conversation.

It ranges in topics from the color, size, and frequency of your infant's poop to the smell. I once freaked my husband out by comparing our newborn's poop smell to buttery popcorn! He wasn't so much as grossed out as freaked that I was right.

It got so bad that it became the running joke: That when we smelt popcorn baking, it was time to change the baby.

(And just for the record, the stage of those 'pleasant' smelling Number Twos doesn't last long!)

Urine generally doesn't have a smell in infants; their diaper just gets puffy or you can tell they need a change when they pee through everything (although by then, it's a little late!)

When our son was first born, he kept peeing through every kind of diaper we tried. It was his unique baby superpower. It made me wonder why I used diapers at all.

In fact, we almost considered not using them. I'd once seen this TV program about something called 'Elimination Communication' or 'EC.' It's real and you can Wiki it.

Apparently, right from birth some women potty train their infants. Stranger yet, they all say it works - and they think their infants prefer it.

I originally dismissed this idea as coming from a crazy mother with too much time on her hands. I now regret having not tried it.

You may think; "how can you know if an infant prefers using the potty instead of a diaper?"

Well, I'm not going to ask if you ever peed your pants recently, but whether you did or not, you can probably imagine how uncomfortable it is! Apparently, infants inherently feel the same about soiled clothes - hence why cloth diapered babies tend to get potty trained sooner than disposable diapered babies.

So, now that my baby is just now over one year old, I am tired of spending loads on diapers - so we're going 'potty' about the toilet, loo, throne or what ever you wish to call it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks so much for leaving a comment!