Friday, November 13, 2009

Missing the Potty

The baby had a good go at potty training today.

He let me know he needed to 'go' and sat patiently on his potty - but eventually got bored, so I let him get up and walk around for a bit (without his diaper on, which he loves!)

...only to find that just a minute later, he'd pooped on the rug!

I know, I know... I need to just simply do what the potty extremists do. I need to relent and put him regular underpants. It's going to be messy - very messy - but it's one of the golden rules of potty training.

Babies find it immensely uncomfortable to 'go' in regular clothes and underpants. Diapers make it clean and comfortable, so waddling about in a full diaper isn't really that much of a bother (so they never feel the urge to control their pooping or peeing, as there's no consquence.

But when they wear 'big boy' clothes - with no diapers - and they poop or pee, it's sticky, smelly and wet. A horrible experience (and for me too, as I have to clean it up!)

But by exposing him to that - and letting my son know that he has knowledge and opportunity to make sure he doesn't make his clothes damp and smelly - he'll get the potty message that much quicker.

It's difficult for a mother to stick to - not only does it contradict my urge to keep things clean, it also means tears and tanrums while Baby discovers (the hard way) that he can't just 'go' any time he wants now.

But soon he'll master the potty. In the mean time, though, accidents will happen - and frequently do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks so much for leaving a comment!